Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tova top #1


I made my first Tova top a couple of weeks ago and am optimistically calling it #1 as I have another version in mind, though it will have to wait a while now that KCWC is almost upon us.

I used black voile from my stash plus the last of a Japanese print I'd been hoarding. I'd previously made a cuff with the Japanese print and love the colours and pattern. But I'm not thrilled with this top as I'm not sure about the contrast between the black voile and Japanese cotton, and also it's a bit tight (pulling at the bust). So I decided this was my muslin, and the next one would work better.



Having said that though I have worn it quite a few times already, as it's really comfortable (the voile is super soft), good for the weather at the moment, an easy shape to wear, and also just something new in my wardrobe.

I enjoyed making this top and thought the pattern was well written and easy to follow. As other people have noted attaching the yoke to the bodice is a bit tricky, and I could do with a bit more practice, but overall it's a nice pattern to work with.

So for #2 I'll go up a size and make it all in the one fabric. But me being me I can't resist making my own changes and will attempt cap sleeves, an in-between hem length, and maybe some cute little ties off the neckline. Well, that's what's in my head, we'll see how it translates once it's in 3D ;-)

6 comments:

  1. It looks great and I really like the contrast with the that beautiful japanese fabric!

    ha ha ha I'm can't help myself and have to customise every pattern I make too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Tova is super cute! I really like the contrast, myself. I was wondering about inserting that yoke - I've tried similar styles and it was not that easy.

    Well done, and I can't wait to see the Jo-modifications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way your tova turned out, especially with the black voile. If you make some changes to your next top, I hope you consider making a tutorial! ;)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty Crafter! My record on actually getting tutorials done is not too good but I'll keep it in mind ;-)

      Delete
  4. my first tova was too big... still need to try a second. i love the print with the voile - reminds me of make it perfect's new top: http://tonicoward.blogspot.com/2012/04/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Beth - it does look similar, I just had a look! The funny thing is that I've been thinking of making a sleeveless version for winter to wear over long sleeved tshirts too!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails