Thursday, April 5, 2012

My creative space - birthday dress


This week in my creative space I made my big girl a new dress for her birthday. I searched online for a while for a pattern that wasn't too young or too old, if you know what I mean. She turned 7, so not a little girl but not big either. I found the adorable Maggie Mae pattern from Shwin & Shwin. Have you seen it? I love the beautifully simple style. Even though all the pics on their Etsy shop and blog show the dress on younger girls I thought it would be a nice bridge between little girl and tween fashion.


It features a contrasting yoke and hemline, pleats in the front and back and side seam pockets. I found the pattern instructions quite simple in that their wasn't a lot of detail, but it was still very clear, which was quite refreshing. I find the big name patterns often over complicate the instructions and can make a simple step sound tricky.


Red being her favourite colour at the moment I'd hunted for some inspiration and found a lovely ikat cotton for the body and a beautiful cherry red quilting cotton for the top and bottom. The ikat is so beautiful that I'd like to make a top myself from it. We would just have to organise ourselves not to wear them on the same day ;-). I'm imagining the dress in winter with tights or leggings, cardigan and scarf, hopefully it will be that versatile.


Despite the look on her face (she was recovering from a few days of illness and mean mum wants to take her pic), she loves the dress and says it's very comfortable to wear. Of course my little girl who's 4 would like one now. It's such a cute pattern, I'll definitely use it again. I really like the linen that Shwin & Shwin have used here, and it looks great with little embellishments (though the ikat fabric has enough detail going on). There's also a Flickr group for lots of inspiration.

Lots of creative spaces to check out over here.

13 comments:

  1. Such a lovely fabric. Great dress for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this dress. You have picked such lovely fabrics for it. I think your choice of fabrics really did it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that little dress is absolutely GORGEOUS! I Love the ikat fabric, it's just lovely and would make a great top for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric choices and the cut of this pattern! I would totally wear this dress myself. I agree, a classic style like this transcends "little girl" and "big girl" - you can never go wrong with a classic, modest shape and great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Inder - I'd wear this dress too ;-) It reminds me a bit of the famous Collette Macaron, but in a more relaxed way.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this!! Might have to go get that pattern, it is totally adorable. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is so so lovely. the contrast yoke and band look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it so much! Happy birthday to your daughter!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! happy birthday to your daughter:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails