Monday, November 19, 2012

Wiksten tank

As you may know, the Wiksten tank pattern has a cult following in sewing blogs. But up until recently it hadn't really appealed to me. I thought it looked a little shapeless, and I'm trying hard not to buy patterns just because they are popular and look good on others. Sometimes I have an inkling that a pattern is not really my style or won't suit my figure or lifestyle, but I see a few versions I like so I give it a try.

But I'm happy to say that I was wrong about this one as I really like it.

I used an old piece of printed voile from my stash, bought at Spotlight. I must say, there are some fabulous voiles at Spotlight at the moment. I bought some recently to make some harem pants for my girls for summer and it was so hard to choos just two.

Overall I really liked this pattern. The side seams are French seams, making it beautifully neat, and the neck and arm holes are finished with bias binding, which I love using.

And I love that there's the option to buy this pattern as a downloadable PDF, it makes it much more cost effective than buying the paper pattern, and I also secretly quite like sitting on the living room floor in front of some interesting TV program, cutting and taping a pattern together (glass of wine and block of dark chocolate are nice extras when available ;-)

It's a bit firm around the bust (see the wrinkles above) so I'll go up a size next time, but apart from that I'm really happy with it and plan to make a few more for summer.

Have you made the Wiksten tank? And any plans for summer sewing? I'd love to hear.

 

6 comments:

  1. Love the tank! I've always thought it would look bad on me...you've got me thinking now! I just bought my first pieces (5 x 1m) of liberty so I'm planning to make some Summer tops. Working up the courage to cut into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric! I have this tank on my list of things to make. It seems to look good on everyone. One day...one day...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great Jo! And I adore the fabric that you chose. I also downloaded this pattern; about 6 months ago.... haven't touched it yet! My friend sent me some lovely fabric from London (Liberty!) and made me promise to make something for myself. And this is the plan! Like thingsforboys I'm too scared to cut into it; might have to make a practice top first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just lovely! i love the print too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh this is gorgeous too! Possibly my favourite of the two - will have to pop down to Spotlight and buy heaps of voile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails