Thursday, April 26, 2012

KCWC day 3

Yesterday I made a diversion from my Urban Unisex Hoodie fad and made my little girl a pair of simple pyjama pants. Again I used scraps of knit fabrics, so unfortunately don't have enough of this cute chocolate brown and multi coloured spot jersey to make a top. But that's OK, it might have been overkill anyway. I think I'll use a plain colour and match the ribbing to tie them in.

The pattern is another from the book Growing up Sew Liberated ( you may remember I made the basic pocket pants from it recently). The pattern is called Sleeping Johns but Meg notes that it makes great leggings too. I altered the pattern slightly by lowering the waist and adding a yoga-style band rather than the casing and elastic method. My little girl can be quite sensitive about things digging in or being uncomfortable in any way (ie: refuses to wear them and has a tantrum), so I have done this sort of waistband before and had success with it, as the tension of the ribbing holds them up rather than elastic. I also used this method for bands at the ankles just to keep the warmth in and keep them neat.

I'm hoping to make the book's Crossover Top for the pyjama top, and down the track I'd like to make some for her brother and sister too. May looks like it's going to be a big sewing month here ;-)

See you tomorrow for day 4.

4 comments:

  1. your going great guns Jo! Love those PJ pants, the alternate waistband is great. PJ's are on my kcwc list too.

    I've been sewing every day, but can't seem to get around to blogging about it. Story of my life really............... maybe tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Fran - getting time to blog can be the hardest! I thought I'd use my blog over the week to spur me on, and so far it's working but I'm getting tired now, might have to cut the week short!

      Delete
  2. This really is just a great leggings/PJ bottoms pattern, isn't it? I like your modification to the waistband! I may have to try that.

    I've also made the crossover top, and it's adorable, but it's hilarious how my husband CANNOT seem to figure out how it works and Joe is always wandering around with his arm through the wrong hole or whatever. I'm like, um, I didn't think it was rocket science, but okay ... (and they say that men have better spatial reasoning! ha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This made me laugh Inder - my Mr is the same with things like that, forever forgetting about buttons on tops and wondering why the kids are squealing when he's trying to lift them over their heads ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails